Become a Learning Machine, A Conversation With Neuroscientist Dr German Garcia-Fresco
Find our podcasts on:
“Everything you do creates a change in your brain in the long run.”
In this episode of the High-Performance Health Podcast, Angela talks to Dr German Garcia-Fresco, the Director of The Adaptive Neuroscience Research Institute (ANRI) and the Founder of BecomeALearningMachine.com, on how to learn quickly and effectively. Success is highly linked to continuous learning, so as much as possible, we should maintain healthy functioning of our body, especially our brain.
Discover today how you can enhance cognition and focus by prioritising your health. Dr German debunks some food myths and gives various advice on nutrition and diet. Aside from this, we dive deep on the difference of IQ & EQ, the benefits of speed reading, and the best learning supplement out there. Get your EarPods ready and start listening.
- For enhanced cognition and focus, you need to give so much importance to 3 things: nutrition & diet, exercise, and sleep. These also helps in clearing out toxins and reduces the chances of chronic diseases.
- Overconsumption of alcohol and drugs can cause brain damage or brain injury. The good thing is once you stopped consuming the stuff that’s bad for your health, your brain activity slowly goes back to normal. According to German, it takes 6-12 months for the brain to recover.
- For quite some time, people believed that fat was bad. Fat is not terrible as you think it is—your body needs it. Companies started making fat-free products so they can still sell. But what people should be worried of is sugar, which has the same effect on the brain when you consume alcohol or drugs.
- If German were to choose between high IQ and high EQ, he’d choose high EQ. People who have high IQ but have very low EQ are less social, which is something that will ensure high performance and help you climb up the ladder in your career or business.
- Emotional Intelligence is highly trainable. Understanding how EQ works and affects us is the first step. It’s easier to nurture relationships when we don’t act upon the impulse to react negatively.
- Techniques to enhance your learning:
- Interleaving: Studying inter-related subjects at the same time.
- Dual Coding: Associating words with images.
- Tips on Speed Reading:
- Read the back cover or the table of contents so you’ll get the general idea.
- When you read main text, focus on reading a few words at the same time instead of reading word per word.
- “Your brain dictates how successful you’re going to be.”
- “97% of Alzheimer’s cases could have been prevented if you lead a healthy life.”
- “100 years ago, the average human consumed about 5 grams of sugar per day. Now, the average human consumes 200-300 grams of sugar per day.”
- “Being addicted to food is harder than being addicted to cocaine.”
- “The more you know, the more confident you are; the more confident you are, you can sell yourself better.”
- “Learning is the key to success.”
ABOUT THE GUSET
Dr. German Garcia-Fresco obtained his PhD. in Molecular Neurobiology at the University of North Carolina. He has received numerous awards including the President’s Award for excellence in genetics and biochemistry. His research has led to advances in the field of neurobiology, contributing to mechanisms involved in neurodegenerative diseases. His research has been featured in top scientific journals as well as New York Times and several news channels around the world.
Asides from his scientific interests, he is an avid entrepreneur and has opened and successfully operates a variety of different profitable companies in the US.
Over the last few years he has been focused on the behavioral aspects of brain functioning specifically decision making, emotional control and creative enhancement. He is currently trying to develop techniques to increase neuronal performance and developing health and educational brain programs for children and adults.
ABOUT THE HOST
Angela is a Nutritionist, Health and Performance Coach. She is also the Founder and CEO of My DNA Edge, an Exclusive Private Membership Site giving individuals the tools and biohacks needed to optimise their genetic expression for optimal health and performance.
After recovering from a serious illness in 2014, Angela left the world of Corporate Law with a single mission in mind:
To inspire and educate others to live an energetic, healthful and limitless life.
Angela believes that we can truly have it all and has spent the last 5 years researching the habits and routines of high performers, uncovering age old secrets, time honoured holistic practices and modern science to create a blueprint for Optimal Human Performance.