The Art of Mental Boxing with Billy Schwer
In this very special episode, Angela is in conversation with former world boxing champion, personal performance coach, author and professional speaker, Billy Schwer.
Since retiring from boxing, Billy has been working with business leaders, showing them how to empower, achieve and score huge wins in business and life.
Billy joins Angela today to discuss his own transformation from boxing as a sport to “Mental Boxing”, an empowering concept born from a period of transition in his own life, along with his seven-step winning formula for success.
- Billy’s whole life has been founded upon the drive to prove his worth, and to show the world that he is strong enough to take anything on. This is a belief that he tries to instil now into those he coaches.
- Transitioning from professional sportsman to life in the real world was something that Billy struggled with a great deal, as he was forced to analyse himself all over again. Billy likens the process to mourning the death of a friend. Billy The Boxer was someone who suddenly did not exist anymore, and the effect upon himself was devastating.
- Time and perspective have allowed Billy to realise that although he spent the first part of his life fighting and pushing himself in order to achieve his goals, when he reached them, he suddenly came to the understanding that the journey itself was the important part.
- The things that caused Billy to be a champion inside the ring, also caused him to fail outside of it. Always be conscious of every outcome of the decisions we make in life. By stepping back and analysing himself in detail, he realised that and was able to make valuable adjustments.
- Failing to admit to ourselves that things aren’t going as planned can often be a huge stumbling block in self=growth. Billy advises that we stop and “man-up”. Admit when things aren’t going well. It might be hard, but the rewards are endless.
- Part of Billy’s incredible success in boxing was his ability to completely visualise every aspect of every fight, from the arrival at the venue to the fight itself, and even so far as to envisioning the press conference afterwards. By seeing the fight beforehand and visualising his victory over and over again, Billy was able to instil a highly-developed sense of self-belief that often carried him to victory.
- Self-doubt is a huge killer of the belief in what’s possible. You’re only as good as the future you’re living into and manifesting for yourself. Live for each moment and don’t waste precious time doubting or worrying about the things that might happen.
- We have coaches to help us along in sports. There are coaches for people in business. Even the most successful and financially wealthy people have coaches. Coaches in life are equally as important and should be more widely accepted.
- It’s not always about an abundance of training or exercise in order to make ourselves feel better. Being fit, healthy and positive is all about using exercise in an efficient way. Little and often can sometime be far more effective than pushing ourselves to breaking point.
‘I believe there’s always a reason why we do what we do’
‘Opinions are like bellybuttons. We’ve all got one and they’re all different’
‘Winning the world title just wasn’t as sweet as I thought it was going to be’
‘Every human interaction has an element of mental boxing’
‘Boxers are the last of the gladiators’
‘Are people living with passion, power and purpose?’
‘Commit to your dreams. Take inspired action. Make it happen’
‘I think everyone should be doing gymnastics’
‘Hindsight’s a wonderful thing but we need to have some foresight! That’s the power of coaching’
ABOUT THE GUEST
Billy Schwer spent twenty years at the top of his field in arguably the most gruelling and demanding sport there is – Boxing. During his professional career he won British, Commonwealth, European and IBO World Boxing Titles.
One of the most consistently brilliant fighters Britain has ever seen, Billy’s sharp skills, courage, determination and grace in the ring attracted a huge fan base. His engaging personality and ready wit made him a favourite amongst other boxers, promoters and the media.
Billy is a reflective and engaging speaker who demonstrates honesty and intelligence. These qualities have led to him being sought out by various journalists to contribute to radio discussions, feature articles and opinion pieces on a breadth of subjects.
Through sharing his own amazing story, Billy regularly shows audiences how to take their performance to the next level and encourages them to push their own boundaries to produce extraordinary results.
ABOUT THE HOST
Angela Foster: Angela is a Nutritionist, Health and Performance Coach. She is also the Founder and CEO of My DNA Edge, an Exclusive Private Membership Site giving individuals the tools and biohacks needed to optimise their genetic expression for optimal health and performance.
After recovering from a serious illness in 2014, Angela left the world of Corporate Law with a single mission in mind:
To inspire and educate others to live an energetic, healthful and limitless life.
Angela believes that we can truly have it all and has spent the last 5 years researching the habits and routines of high performers, uncovering age old secrets, time honoured holistic practices and modern science to create a blueprint for Optimal Human Performance.